Being Accused of a Crime is Traumatic. Let's Get to Work Defending You.
Violent Crime Lawyer
Public outcry against criminal behavior, especially violent behavior, gives law enforcement tremendous incentive to clear cases of violent crimes; each case in which police make an arrest improves public opinion of area law enforcement. But too much incentive for an arrest can easily lead to arrests that are not based on good evidence of guilt.
It’s up to a San Diego violent crimes lawyer to ensure that justice prevails over expediency in Florida.
Start with a free case evaluation, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Free Case Evaluation
Put your case in our experienced hands.
Get started now.
Arrested For A Violent Crime?
A violent crime is a criminal offense that is committed with the use of violence or with threats of violence. When a person commits such a crime, the violence is usually just a means to an end. For example, a person that commits armed robbery is using the threat of violence or force as a way to steal money from the victim. In recent years, violent crimes have escalated in the state of California, especially amongst the adolescent male demographic.
If you’ve been accused of a serious, violent crime, you could be facing years in prison, a life sentence, or even the death penalty. In this situation, you obviously want the best possible criminal defense lawyer on your side.
At Kersey Law, our criminal defense lawyers believe that everyone accused of a crime, no matter how serious, deserves energetic and capable legal representation.
If you’ve been accused of a violent crime and you need an experienced, capable criminal defense lawyer, please call Kersey Law today at 619-399-7267 for a free consultation.
Cases Our Criminal Defense Lawyers Have Handled
Every case is unique, and the criminal defense lawyers at Kersey Law understand that a “one size fits all” approach to your case isn’t appropriate. We will, however, be able to use our decades of experience with criminal law to craft a compelling defense.
Our criminal defense lawyers have experience defending clients accused of:
- Theft/Armed Robbery
- Assault and Battery
- Domestic Violence
- Terrorist Threats
- Vehicular Manslaughter
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon
- Hate Crimes
Not only can haste to close a case result in innocent people going to prison for violent crimes, those who are wrongly convicted go to prison for lengthy periods, because violent crimes carry the harshest penalties. The specific penalty varies considerably from one crime to another, but all violent crimes carry potentially severe penalties that completely change the course of the defendant’s life if convicted. All carry the potential for prison sentences of several years to life, with the death penalty possible for capital crimes.
Crimes involving violence are singled out for stiff penalties for two reasons:
- To keep violent criminals off the street longer
- To deter criminals from committing violence
In practical terms, a third reason is to ease public pressure on law enforcement and the justice system.
Defenses to violent crimes in San Diego generally fall into one of three categories:
- Various “affirmative defense,” in which the defendant admits committing the acts charged, but claims that there was good reason for doing so (i.e., the defendant did punch the victim several times, but only because the victim was trying to stab him).
- Defenses that admit the facts charged but deny that those facts amount to the crime charged (i.e., the defendant did argue with the victim, but that argument did not make the victim fear for his life).
- Defenses that deny the facts as charged (i.e., the defendant did not fire a pistol as the state claims).
Get Help—Your Freedom and Life Depend On It
California laws on violent crimes are complex, with numerous aggravating factors that bump a crime to a higher degree, relatively new and complex laws, and technical elements that must be proved in order to convict you.
There is no time to waste if you have been charged with a violent crime in California. The sooner you get the help of an experienced San Diego violent crimes lawyer, the better your chances of avoiding conviction and, if convicted, minimizing the penalty. If you are simply being investigated and haven’t yet been charged, getting experienced help is your best chance to avoid having charges filed.
Apart from the defenses discussed above, a few of the major tasks with which an experienced San Diego criminal defense lawyer’s help is invaluable include:
- Using our years of experience to create the best possible legal strategy for you;
- Finding flaws and contradictions in the state’s account;
- Cross-examining witnesses and turning a skeptical eye on the prosecution’s evidence;
- Lining up witnesses, including credible experts, in your favor;
- Making sure the prosecutors live up to their legal obligations when it comes to time limits, bail, and other crucial procedural issues;
- Evaluating the wisdom of accepting a plea deal;
- Ensuring that prosecution discloses all exculpatory evidence;
- Identifying and bringing out inconsistent testimony from adverse witnesses (what the witness says now is not what the witness said before);
- Identifying and bringing out material bias on the part of key witnesses, such as when the witness has a deal with the prosecution for dismissal of charges, a lighter sentence, etc.
Criminal law is the only kind of law that Kersey Law practices. We have been handling these cases aggressively and successfully for over 10 years in San Diego and the surrounding areas. Take no chances with your life and freedom. If you are or may be charged with a violent crime, get your defense started here: call Kersey Law today.
Call us today at 619-399-3366 to learn more!
Experienced and Professional
Criminal Defense Representation
When you have been charged with a criminal offense, your future is at stake. To protect your rights and freedom, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney who will treat your case with compassion and dedication. You’ll get both here.
For years, we have been passionate defenders of clients charged with a variety of criminal offenses. Criminal cases are often highly technical in nature. To avoid a conviction, you need an attorney that is deeply knowledgable about the subject matter at stake in criminal trials and has the courtroom experience to mount a formidable defense.
If you have been charged with one of the following offenses, we can help.